The following resources are available to newly diagnosed men, survivors, and those coping with end of life challenges:
- Navigate Cancer Foundation: This is an unbiased “3rd party” resource, whereby you gain access to an advanced practice oncology nurse who is not directly affiliated with any particular medical institution. He or she can help walk you threw the complexities of your diagnosis, equipping you with the information you need to advocate for your own high quality individualized care.
- Patient Advocate Foundation: This resource can help with navigating the financial complexities involved with paying for care.
- Imerman Angels: Provides one-on-one peer support to cancer survivors.
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Allows you to search for clinical trials available to prostate cancer patients in NC. These studies contribute to the advancement of better patient care.
Research to Follow
“Best practices” is a constantly moving target. Advances in medical oncology, radiation therapy, and surgical oncology evolve on a daily basis. The Prostate Cancer Coalition of North Carolina (PCCNC) is committed to the dissemination of NC Process research findings as they evolve.
NC Process Publications:
- Chen RC, Basak R, Meyer AM, Kuo TM, Carpenter WR, Agans RP, Broughman JR, Reeve BB, Nielsen ME, Usinger DS, Spearman KC, Walden S, Kaleel D, Anderson M, Stürmer T, Godley PA. Association Between Choice of Radical Prostatectomy, External Beam Radiotherapy, Brachytherapy, or Active Surveillance and Patient-Reported Quality of Life Among Men With Localized Prostate Cancer. JAMA. 2017 Mar 21;317(11):1141-1150. doi: 10.1001/jama.2017.1652.
- Ye F, Moon DH, Carpenter WR, Reeve BB, Usinger DS, Green RL, Spearman K, Sheets NC, Pearlstein KA, Lucero AR, Waddle MR, Godley PA, Chen RC. Comparison of Patient Report and Medical Records of Comorbidities: Results From a Population-Based Cohort of Patients With Prostate Cancer. JAMA Oncol. 2017 Feb 16. doi: 10.1001/jamaoncol.2016.6744.
- Chen RC, Carpenter WR, Kim M, Hendrix LH, Agans RP, Meyer AM, Hoffmeyer A, Reeve BB, Nielsen ME, Usinger DS, Strigo TS, Jackman AM, Anderson M, Godley PA. Design of the North Carolina Prostate Cancer Comparative Effectiveness and Survivorship Study (NC ProCESS). J Comp Eff Res. 2015 Jan;4(1):3-9. doi: 10.2217/cer.14.67.